The Anti-aging Power of Edelweiss
Growing older is a privilege. With each year comes more wisdom, and with each new laugh line comes a collection of joyful memories. But that doesn't mean you can't hold onto your youthful glow!
Thankfully, you don't need to take drastic measures to maintain your beauty. Nature has given us plants with innate youth-boosting antioxidants and unique properties that fight aging skin. With the increased demand for natural skin solutions, scientists are learning new and efficient ways to harness the anti-aging powers of plants from all over the world.
We've talked all about bakuchiol, the natural retinol alternative derived from the babchi plant. And the next new skincare ingredient comes from a tiny white flower found in the European Alps: Edelweiss. The multitasking plant extract boasts antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties that help lessen the appearance of wrinkles, improve moisture retention, and help protect the skin from UV rays.
Ready to learn more? The experts at YUNI Beauty dive into aging skin, the age-defying benefits of edelweiss, and how you can include it in your skincare routine.
How does your skin change as you age?
To understand how natural ingredients like edelweiss can benefit aging skin, it helps to know how skin ages in the first place.
Remember your twenties, when you spent a night out on the town and still woke up looking refreshed? When you're young, your skin's natural rejuvenation cycle works much quicker than it does when you're older, with skin cells constantly renewing throughout the day. Youthful skin also holds high levels of hyaluronic acid, collagen, and elastin, which allow for plump, hydrated, and wrinkle-free complexions.
On the other hand, when you age, the hard-working proteins and molecules keeping your cells optimized start to break down due to natural processes and environmental factors, like sun exposure. This is when you may notice signs of aging, such as fine lines, loose skin, and excessive dryness.
We believe in embracing the beauty of growing older, and thankfully, you can age with grace by simply implementing specific natural ingredients into your skincare routine.
All about the Edelweiss flower
If the word edelweiss sounds familiar, you are probably thinking of the show tune from the timeless musical The Sound of Music. But there is much more to this flower's history.
Edelweiss is a rare plant grown in the Alps and Carpathian mountain ranges. You might wonder how a tiny flower can withstand such a harsh climate and high altitude. Clearly, it's cold at 9,000 feet elevation, but the edelweiss flower is prepared with what looks like a fuzzy white sweater coating its petals. The wooly texture protects the plant from cold, high winds, and ultraviolet radiation.
Another factor in the plant's resilience is its incredibly high level of antioxidants, including its own DNA-protecting agent called leontopodic acid, all of which make edelweiss such a potent skincare ingredient.
Edelweiss has long been a symbol of rugged beauty and purity associated with the Alps, especially in Romania, Austria, Slovenia, Switzerland, and Italy. Traditionally known as the bellyache flower, the plant was used medicinally for gastrointestinal issues and abdominal pain. There's even evidence of edelweiss relieving bronchitis and other respiratory issues.
New sourcing technology and scientific advances are driving an increased supply of edelweiss extract, protecting the rare plant from exploitation. The latest extraction and purification methods yield a higher percentage of beneficial polyphenolic molecules, making for super-potent skincare.
Edelweiss skin benefits
Edelweiss is making waves in the skincare industry as the next natural anti-ager. The alpine plant is anti-inflammatory, packed with antioxidants, and moisturizing, so it's no wonder that skin care products with edelweiss are popping up everywhere. The multipurpose ingredient is a powerful anti-ager, but it can also benefit dry, sensitive, and sun-damaged skin. Here are all the skin benefits of edelweiss.
- Minimizes the appearance of wrinkles. The most well-researched benefit of edelweiss is its ability to smooth wrinkles. The high antioxidant content fights premature aging caused by free radical damage.
- Increases collagen production. Edelweiss replenishes collagen and moisture in the skin, improving skin elasticity and density. The plant extract also increases blood flow, delivering essential nutrients and promoting skin health.
- Protection against UV rays. Edelweiss is a mild sun protectant that helps shield your skin when used with SPF. Several skincare brands are now starting to include edelweiss in their sunscreen formulas to help protect your skin and give it a boost of anti-aging benefits.
- Moisturizing. Edelweiss extract penetrates deep within the skin's layers, effectively moisturizing and eliminating dryness. Edelweiss also works as a regulator for your skin by balancing oil and promoting moisture production.
- Anti-inflammatory. Studies show that edelweiss reduces inflammation, which was also one of the plant's original applications in the 19th century. Research found edelweiss cell cultures beneficial in treating chronic inflammatory skin diseases like dermatitis.
- Antioxidant protection. Edelweiss extract is a powerful antioxidant with even higher potency levels than vitamin C. When the body becomes overloaded with free radicals from sun exposure or environmental toxins, it causes oxidative stress, one of the primary contributors to premature aging. But, the free radical fighting antioxidants in edelweiss help ward off damage and prevent signs of premature aging, while improving overall texture and tone.
- Antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Our skin comes into contact with pollution and environmental aggressors every day. Edelweiss can help protect your skin's barrier and prevent infections, irritation, and inflammation.
How to use Edelweiss
Edelweiss works great with all other ingredients. Therefore, there are no risks associated with combining it with your favorite vitamin C or retinol products, for example. Since harvesting edelweiss takes a significant commitment, it's important to shop from brands that source their ingredients ethically and sustainably.
We've reviewed all the incredible benefits of edelweiss. Now, here are some ways to incorporate it into your beauty and wellness routines.
Moisturizers. Edelweiss is an excellent ingredient to look for in a moisturizer. It adds an anti-aging boost and increases the effectiveness of other moisturizing agents. Since most of us use face lotion every day, this is certainly one of the easiest ways to include edelweiss in your regimen.
Serums and face oils. Edelweiss blends wonderfully with serums and face oils to give you radiant, youthful skin. Layer an infused formula under your moisturizer morning and night to see the best results.
Sunscreen. Researchers have found that edelweiss extract protects your skin from sun damage, making it the perfect addition to sunscreen products. We recommend a daily sunscreen infused with edelweiss to increase the antioxidant and anti-aging benefits.
Is Edelweiss right for me?
There are several incredible benefits to using natural skincare products. They are often more potent, have fewer side effects, and are better for the environment, to name a few.
Edelweiss extract is no exception. Anyone interested in natural aging remedies supporting overall skin health will benefit from edelweiss.
Studies show that it is non-toxic and does not cause any harm or stress to the skin. But of course, with any natural ingredient, there's always a small chance you may be allergic. So don't forget to perform a patch test of the product before you include it in your routine.
The high concentration of flavonoids and phenolic acids in edelweiss are an excellent addition to sunscreen. However, the extract isn't FDA-approved as an effective measure for sun protection, so it's best not to use it alone as a sunscreen.
YUNI and Edelweiss
With its proven anti-aging benefits and astounding levels of antioxidants, some are calling edelweiss the beauty industry's best-kept secret. At YUNI Beauty, we go to great lengths to source nature's most effective ingredients. So it should come as no surprise that we harnessed the anti-aging capabilities of highly concentrated edelweiss stem cells when creating our ACTIVE CALM Face Moisturizer.
The creamy but fast-absorbing moisturizer hydrates parched skin while plumping and firming the appearance of your complexion. We also used nutrient-rich buriti oil, green tea extract, and turmeric in the formula for skin that looks healthy and glowing all day long. Experience the infinite benefits of edelweiss with our fan-favorite ACTIVE CALM Moisturizer.