Face Moisturizer 101: Why Moisturize Your Face?
At YUNI, we are all about simple, straightforward skincare. If it has clean ingredients, keeps our skin healthy, and is gentle on the planet, we are happy. Because let's be honest, when you live an active lifestyle, you don't have time to waste on a 10-step routine.
We recommend a cleanser, serum, and moisturizer with natural ingredients for an effective yet uncomplicated skincare routine. But, if that still seems like too much, and you're only willing to use one product for your face, it needs to be a moisturizer.
Maybe you have a bottle of lotion in the back of your cabinet, or you moisturize regularly. Either way, you probably know that moisturizing your face is important. But do you know why exactly?
Obviously, moisturizing your face prevents dry skin, but there are other effects you should know about. Here are six benefits of moisturizing and our top product recommendations.
Why it's important to use a moisturizer
Moisturized skin is healthy skin. There's no doubt that when your body and skin are hydrated, they look and feel amazing. Ever wonder why? Here are six reasons you should be moisturizing.
- Prevent dryness. This is the most obvious reason to moisturize your face. But it needed a mention because certain environments exacerbate dryness. Whether it's the dry air in winter, city pollution, or air conditioning in the summer, all these environmental factors contribute to dry skin. Lotions and face oils prevent moisture from leaving your skin and rehydrate the epidermis (the outermost layer of your skin).
- Slow signs of aging. When your skin becomes overly dry, the protective barrier becomes compromised and irritated, which causes low-grade inflammation. If this inflammation is ongoing, it can lead to a breakdown of collagen and premature aging. Additionally, as you age, your body produces less of its naturally protective and moisturizing oils. So, staying on top of your hydration is key to healthy, youthful skin.
- Lessen the appearance of wrinkles. Moisturizing alone won't permanently diminish wrinkles. However, you'll temporarily fill fine lines by plumping the skin with hydration.
- Improve skin texture. Dry skin certainly doesn't feel that nice to the touch. It tends to look flakey and bumpy and feel rough. But once the skin is moisturized, it becomes soft and smooth. Moisturizers help the skin absorb water and fill spaces between skin cells, effectively smoothing the surface. Pro tip - if your skin texture still doesn't improve with moisturizer, you may have a build-up of dry skin cells that need to be removed with an exfoliator.
- Soothe irritation. Adequate skin hydration keeps skin calm and balanced, preventing redness and irritation from occurring. If you find yourself with sensitive skin that's inflamed and uncomfortable, try a moisturizer with soothing ingredients like aloe and vitamin E that will bring down inflammation. But it's important to note that very dry skin loses its ability to stretch, which is why it cracks and peels. So it's best to avoid this issue altogether by regularly using a creamy lotion.
- Reduce blemishes. It may sound surprising, but moisturizing can help control oily and acne prone skin. When you regularly moisturize, the oil glands in your face become balanced and are less likely to overproduce and cause acne. So, when your skin is hydrated, you can keep blemishes at bay.
The best moisturizers for dry skin
There are countless moisturizing ingredients found in nature that come from the nuts and seeds of plants. Because of a plant's fatty acid composition, there's no reason to go the synthetic route. It's pretty clear that mother nature did it right the first time.
Some of our favorite hydrating ingredients are buriti nut oil, kukui nut oil, and jojoba oil. Classics like shea butter and coconut oil are also popular moisturizers for a reason. The best part about having natural ingredients in your moisturizer is the additional antioxidants and vitamins that they provide. So not only are you reaping the benefits of hydrated skin, but you're also getting help with aging, hyperpigmentation, and dullness.
Next to their highly moisturizing content, antioxidants are the next best aspect of using products with natural ingredients. Antioxidants fight off free radicals from the sun and pollution that can cause cell damage and aging.
In order to get the most out of your moisturizer, it's crucial to implement a routine until it eventually becomes second nature. We recommend applying a face lotion or oil immediately after cleansing, morning and night. When damp, your face acts as a sponge to absorb beneficial ingredients more easily. Trust us. This one easy step in your day will make all the difference in your skin.
We've already explored the benefits of a body care routine using our Rejuvenating Body Creme, Glowing Body Scrub, and portable Shower Sheets. Now that we know the importance of hydration for the face, here are our fan-favorite products for a soft and supple complexion.
With YUNI's collection of face moisturizers, you'll nourish your skin and indulge your senses with aromatherapy, bringing you moments of peace and calm throughout the day.
- ACTIVE Calm Firming Facial Moisturizer. This lightweight moisturizer is one of our best sellers, and for a good reason. ACTIVE CALM is packed with active ingredients that leave your skin feeling hydrated, soft, and bright. Buriti oil, aloe, and coconut oil hydrate while edelweiss and a medley of antioxidants boost anti-aging. Plus, the subtle aroma from essential oils pulls you into the present moment, reminding you to find happiness in the day ahead and relaxation in the evening.
- ZENICURE Rejuvenating Facial Oil. Every skin type can use this face oil, but those with sensitive or stressed skin will find it incredibly restoring. Omega-rich hemp seed oil calms and deeply hydrates parched skin, while mirabilis jalapa callus extract brings your complexion back to life. The multi-purpose oil targets fine lines with paracress extract and lessens the appearance of hyperpigmentation with madonna lily extract.
- LIGHT SEEKER Glow Face Oil. The plant oils found in LIGHT SEEKER have the same potency as a serum but in the form of a non greasy, lightweight oil. Organic jojoba and marula oils instantly glow up your skin with a boost of hydration and vitamins, while rose flower extract soothes redness. You can add a few drops to your moisturizer to boost antioxidants and vitamins or wear it alone for weightless moisture.
Let It Glow! The Best Travel Beauty Tips for Glowing Holiday Skin
The holidays bring out a certain kind of glow. Our hearts are full of love from friends, family, and giving, leaving a warmth only happiness can bring. But unfortunately, the stress of traveling this time of year can dampen your natural radiance and take a toll on your skin.First off, the air in planes is [...]
Holiday Skin Care Gift Ideas and Body Care Guide
Need ideas for the holiday season? A curated gift box filled with clean skin care and body care from YUNI is suitable for virtually everyone on your list. Whether you're searching for gifts for your beauty-fanatic sister, no-nonsense dad, or yogi best friend, YUNI has the perfect present for you.Take a peek at our guide. [...]
The Anti-aging Power of Edelweiss
Growing older is a privilege. With each year comes more wisdom, and with each new laugh line comes a collection of joyful memories. But that doesn't mean you can't hold onto your youthful glow!Thankfully, you don't need to take drastic measures to maintain your beauty. Nature has given us plants with innate youth-boosting antioxidants and [...]
6 Reasons Why You Should Start a Body Care Routine
6 Reasons Why You Should Start a Body Care RoutineHave you ever noticed that the word “skincare” has become synonymous with skincare for the face? If the thought of a body care routine has never crossed your mind, you’re not alone. Sure, you use hand cream during dry winters and have body lotion handy, but [...]
Skincare 101: Transitioning Into Fall
Skincare 101: Transitioning Into FallThe days are shorter, the mornings are crisp, and the leaves are falling. It's official: autumn is here. Cozy evenings spent at home with a cup of tea and an indulgent skincare routine sound more and more appealing.While there is beauty in this seasonal shift, unfortunately, colder weather is not so [...]
Why You Should Be Using Buriti Oil in Your Skincare Regimen
Nature has given us a bounty of moisturizing, nutrient-dense oils to nourish our skin. You probably know about coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, and even rosehip seed oil for skin beauty. But what about beyond the basics?We went on a quest for the highest quality natural ingredients when we developed our collection of skincare. [...]
Keep It Clean & Moisturized! Fight Back-to-School Germs With Hand Sanitizers
After an active summer filled with adventures, it can be nice to get back into a routine. Plus, this back-to-school season feels good knowing kids will be headed back to the classroom for in-person learning. But just because school is returning to normal doesn't mean parents and kids shouldn't remain conscious of spreading germs and [...]
What Are Body Mists and How to Use Them
Do you remember the first time you used a fragrance? Most likely, it was in the form of a body mist. They are a great introduction into the world of aroma because they are gentle enough for people of all ages. But body mists have done some growing up over the years. The best formulas [...]
Why You Should Try Aromatherapy Today to Help With Stress
21st-century living has us constantly moving and consuming information. Staying tapped in and always rushing through life leaves our bodies and brains exhausted at the end of each day. Taking news and social media breaks can help, but ultimately there's no escaping stress, whether it's from work, family, relationships, or our environment. It follows us [...]